July 21, 2011

Maintenance Phase Time?

I'm down to 200 lbs!  Which is nice, but I also feel like I'm starting to risk losing muscle, plus I still want to lose about 3 or 4 more lbs. of fat.  I wanted to be about 205, but right now it's looking like I'd have to be about 196 if I continue at this rate.  This is also the 5th month I've been cutting.  I think I need to take a few weeks and retool my program before continuing a cut.  Fortunately it only takes a few tweaks, so here's what I'm going to do:
  • A.M. conditioning work will now be something like fasted incline treadmill walking.  I like doing the explosive conditioning and will keep doing it but putting it in the morning when fasted (even after a water & protein shake) is a bit much for my system to take given that I'm already in a caloric deficit. 
  • I also will probably only do the two-adays on Monday & Thursdays (and may sneak a Saturday in there), which are upper body days.  Doing the morning explosive workouts on Tuesdays, before squatting in the PM was just too much. 
  • For the 4 days per week on which I do weighted workouts I'm going to add in some post-workout carbs.  I was already doing this Tuesdays after squatting, but will start doing it on Monday (Upper), Thursday (Upper) and Friday (Lower).  I'm probably going to add in between 50 and 70g of carbs probably from brown rice, to go with my post workout chicken.  You can cut for a while, but at some point it starts to effect levels of thyroid and other hormones.  I need to take a few weeks and restore levels back to normal, and restore some glycogen.
  • I am pleased with my results largely, but I still want to lose a few extra lbs. of fat, and sometimes in order to take a few steps forward you need to take a step back, or in this case stand still since I don't anticipate really putting on any weight really, and certainly no fat.


No comments:

Post a Comment