July 7, 2011

July 7, 2011 MAJOR miscalculations in diet....

So I was doing some calculations today for macros/caloric intake for after my cut is done, and it dawned on me.....when I use Fitday I always select cooked meat, but the weight I enter is the raw amount. So for instance for my dinner, I select "Chicken Breast, Skin Not Eaten, Broiled" and then for amount I put 8 oz. The problem is that I wasn't eating 8 oz. of broiled chicken breast, I had weighed out 8 oz of raw chicken, which loses significant weight after cooking.   What I needed to select was Chicken Breast, Skin Not Eaten, Raw (Yield when Cooked).   The difference is significant. When eating one pound of chicken per day 262 less calories, 6 less grams of fat, and 49 less grams of protein. I've also been doing the same for steak. Fuck.  The same applies to steak which I was eating like a pound of per day on the bulk. I was probably taking in about 500 calories less per day on the bulk than I thought I was before. 


So for instance on the last stage of this cut I thought my macros were at 2341 calories, 69f/144c(33f)/290p.  They were actually: 2013 62f/144c(33f)/229p. That protein number HURTS. But on the plus side as long as I've been calculating I've been overestimating how much protein I'm taking in. So all the records I broke on this recent bulk were with way less calories, and way less protein than I thought I was taking in. Now I can see what I can do when I actually take in the amount I think I am.

I also just realized I have to recalibrate how much calories/fat/protein I need when bulking and cutting, because I was under the impression that I was taking in about 15% more of each than I actually was for the last several years. I KNOW how my body reacts to 16 oz. of raw chicken that has been broiled. Just kind of fucks with my macros/calorie calculations since I was under the impression that I knew how much I needed to cut/gain, and I follow some templates for carb cycling, and all that goes out the window now.  What I may do is cook my chicken breast after weighing out 8 oz. of it for dinner tonight.  I'll then see what it weighs after I cook it and then change the numbers I had been using for the Broiled Chicken entries on my diet.  I don't cook meat as thoroughly as others, so the generic yield after cooking numbers in fit day may not apply to me, the drop they put in may be more drastic, so I'm going to have to see. 

I just wanted to post this as a cautionary tale for anyone else using Fitday, or anything else for calculations in your diet. Make sure you are using yields when cooked, or making sure you select raw if that's how you weigh your meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment