July 18, 2011

How Did You Start?

I left high school after my sophomore year, and started attending a local college full-time.  The credits I earned there counted towards high school as well, and I would have enough to graduate with my h.s. diploma after that year in college.   However, our h.s. had a gym requirement.  I had thought about lifting before, even tinkered a few times with the plates my dad had in the cellar; my dad had been lifting or exercising in some form since his late teens.  However since I was a teenager myself I didn't want to be just like him and never actually tried lifting.  It's too bad because I missed out on that mid-teens T-Spike, but I digress.

I decided that the easiest way to fulfill my gym requirement would be to go a couple times per week at the college's gym, and have a trainer sign off on it.  I'll never forget my first fitness test.  The trainer put like 65 lbs. on the bar and had me try benching it. 0 reps.   Thing was pinned to my chest.  I was embarrassed, but despite that, after my first workout ever I was hooked and immediately started going 5 times per week.  I got credit for the gym time and graduated early. Fortunately I didn't become a bench jockey I focused on my lower body for like the first two years of training, actually to the detriment of my upper body strength.  It took several years before that imbalance actually evened out. 

It's nice that my dad had always been active, so I had someone to talk to about my workouts pretty much whenever I wanted, and still do to this day 12 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment