September 30, 2013

September 23, 2013 Lower Body / Heavy


  • Squats: 315*1 350*1 365*1 380*X
  • Front Squats: 245*1 260*1 275*1 285*1-nailed it
  • Good Mornings: 205*1 215*1 235*1
  • Overhead Squats: 75*6 95*5 115*5
45 minutes

I think I'm bumping up against my limit for strength at my current weight on this cut, finally.  What was holding me back the past couple years was lower back strength, and core strength. In my past sessions you'll see me refer to getting 'folded over' on squats, an indicator that the core/stabilizers were not up to par. The good mornings took care of that, as did rotating heavy/light workouts week to week. That ensured I was still getting the heavy work in, but that I was also not burning out, and putting in good reps at lighter weights. I think the 375-380 range is my posterior chains' max right now. I'm not getting folded, I just can't get out of the hole if I try to put more weight on the bar. Hopefully that changes this bulk.  Front squats are going great too, definitely helping matters. I'm only 20 lbs. away from my squat PR, and 15 away from front squat PR.   

I added in overhead squats here to help with balance issues, hit my core more, and hopefully have some carry over to snatches.  Tough exercise, almost fell on my rear when warming up with the bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment