March 2, 2013

February 25, 2013 Upper


  • Bench Press: 275*1 290*1 300*1 310*X
  • BB Rows: 265*3 285*3 300*2 325*1 NEW PR
  • Push Press: 205*1 225*1
43 minutes

Sort of an odd week here, I'm giving my lower body the week off, so I didn't squat last friday, and won't deadlift tomorrow.  My upper body feels fairly spry though so I decided to see how I'd do with some higher weights.  Went pretty well, I think I'd have 310 if I didn't go for 300 first.  Next week I'll probably pull back and start 3 rep sets, or maybe even singles around 260-265.  I want to get my body used to pushing heavier weights again for this cut.    I'm excited.  I think each cut & each bulk will be divided from now on, half doing higher rep stuff and half doing heavier weights.  Keep things fresh.   We'll see.  Part of me is worried I won't get back to the higher weights I was doing before; that fear kept me doing low rep high weight stuff for 3 years straight. Not that there's anything wrong with explosive reps at heavier weights. In fact I still feel that's the way to go for 90% of people's goals.  But to never break it up was probably not the best thing.  

So anyway decided to try some BB rowing; felt great, really explosive clean form.  Decided after the 300 to try for one at 325 and I got it, so a new PR there. I honestly wasn't sure I'd ever go that high again. My previous was 320*1 @ 231 lbs at the end of my mega bulk in February 2011.   This one felt good, thought about maybe trying for a second rep but declined.   Now I'm not sure I'll ever beat 325.  Actually I'll have to attempt to at least once at some point, I didn't take a video of this, and I want videos of all my significant PRs for posterity. 

Lost in all this; I forgot how long I can take doing heavier weights; I thought with fewer reps I'd recover faster but that's not really the case; this still took me 43 minutes to accomplish.  Going to have to work on that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment