March 5, 2013

March 4, 2013 Upper Body


  • Bench Press: 245*3 255*3 265*3 275*3 285*2
  • Pendlay Rows: 135*10 185*5 165*7
  • Push Press: 205*1 225*1 235*1 245*X
  • Rope Pullups: 8, 6
  • Dips: 40*6 40*6
43 minutes

Well that went well.  I think I would've had 3 at 285 if I hadn't done 245 & 255 before...maybe.  I always wonder if it's running out of energy or sapping one's strength when you do earlier sets. It's hard to argue that I'd have an entire extra rep at 285 if I hadn't done 245 10 minutes earlier...but still.   Tried Pendlay rows....REALLY intense, I'm not used to that sort of intense pulling for my lats, with that much load.  Looking at videos of them it looks like people aren't going all the way to their chest with them though, looks like they're stopping a couple inches short, even in the video where Pendlay demos them:



I was going to my chest on them and it's just really intense.  Push pressing went well, BARELY missed 245, by maybe an inch; just ran out of momentum.  Did some rope pullups after, then tried dips again.  I have a love/hate relationship with dips. It's one of the few exercises I can do that I actually feel my triceps, and one of the more intense contractions I can get in my pecs.  The problem is they frequently make my clavicles feel like they're going to snap, or my delts like they're going to explode from too much pressure. I want to figure out why;  I think when I lean forward to accentuate the chest more in the movement it reduces pressure on my shoulders. The problem is that as I fatigue I naturally lean back into a more upright position and it hurts my clavicles feel like they're going to break.  I experimented and found that this definitely seems to be true; need to focus on leaning forward on them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment