June 22, 2011

Previous Bulk, in retrospect

Regrets from Previous Bulk: NO MORE WHOLE MILK lol.  What I'll do differently next time:

  1. Next time I bulk I'm keeping the fats down.  I peaked at around 250g of fat per day on this bulk.  This next time I'll keep it to around 125g of fat, maybe 150 if I feel like eating an avocado.  Even if a lot of the fats I had came from Coconut Oil, EVOO, Walnuts, etc., at some point you take in so much fat that the sources really don't matter.  When you couple those "healthy" fat sources with the milk it just lead to a ton of adipose tissue gain.
  2. To make up for the less fats, I'll be adding carbs in more.  But whereas previously I just had them all the time with every meal, and also from the shit ton of milk, this time I'm going to be tactical with them. I'm going to have some carbs in the morning in my shake, most of which will be from blueberries, with most of the remainder from the 12 oz. of milk I use.  From then until pre-workout I'll have only trace carbs, probably none, or however much is in an oz. of walnuts.  Pre workout will be a quick converting carbohydrate.  I like apples & bananas, so probably will come from that.  Post workout I'll get the bulk of my carbs, probably in the form of brown rice, with occasional post-workout pasta.  
  3. Overall I'm just going to be more precise with my nutrition.  This past time I took a shotgun approach, and clearly hit my target. This next time it's going to be more like a sniper with an m95.  The way I did it this past time was carbs most meals, a half gallon of milk in the hours leading up to bed, and a half pound of peanut butter with my 3/4 lbs. of steak for dinner.  Will NOT be doing that again. 
  4. I also rapidly added calories during the previous bulk. I went from my base of about 2800 calories per day to 5000 in the space of two weeks.  This next time I'll add them a bit slower, and I won't go to 5000 again.  I'm at about 2200 right now on this cut, which is probably right around where I'll be for maintenance.  I'll probably go up to 2700 the first week, see how that goes for a while then go to 3200 or so.  I can't imagine going higher than maybe 3500-3700 next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment