June 30, 2020

June 30, 2020 AM Birdwatching



I woke up early this morning and figured I may as well take a trip to Rock Meadow; I hadn't been there in a month. I figured it'd be quiet, but as is often the case there was lots of activity after the rain overnight. There are TONS of recently fledged robins there, along with a family of baltimore orioles. Back in the corner of the field near the Beaver Brook North bridge I heard a Blue-Winged Warbler singing, I assume the same guy as was there in May. I hope he found a mate and was just singing for the joy of it. Quite unexpected was a singing male indigo bunting; I had heard many in May, but they were absent the last 10 days or so of the month, so I was shocked to hear one now. Not a bad looking fellow. I also came across 7 turkeys, 5 young with 2 parents. I didn't know they bred here, I also found the area where I think they hunker down at night. Other sightings include a recently fledged mockingbird with a parent, young doves, and a lot of swallow/swift activity. I don't know how to distinguish Northern-Rough Wingeds from Chimney Swifts, so it could have been either Lastly, I spotted a white-tailed deer doe. Does she cross the bridge from Beaver Brook North, or the Street?

  • Birdwatching: 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment