October 22, 2011

October 21, 2011 Lower

  • BB DL: 315*4 315*5 315*5 315*5 365*5
  • Rope Pullups: 9, 7
  • Front Squat / PUPP G.S.: 185*5/:30/185*5/:30/185*5/:30
  • Shoulder-Touch Planks: 10, 10
  • Decline Situps...just for the hell of it: 25, 15

Recently I watched this video, and it made me want to take a look at my deadlift form:
  So for today's session I decided that since I had to do a deload week anyway I would focus on my setup and keeping the bar close to my shins on the way up. Felt good man.   Also when I searched for that video I used blogger's youtube search function and pasted in the DL video's url.  This also came up for some reason:




So for the rest of this session I put in some rope pullups, kind of got away from them recently.  Next I decided to throw in a Front Squat & PUPP giant set.  I got the idea from here it's an article from Dan John that lists some challenges to try.  Here's an excerpt:


Simply take a squat movement and use a weight that you can get for ten reps. For this workout, however, we'll halve those reps, so we'll do sets of five. Instead of resting, you will PUPP.

Here's an example:
Front Squat
PUPP
Front Squat
PUPP
Front Squat
PUPP

Be careful on the last set as the heaving of the chest makes handling the barbell a bit suspect. I strongly encourage you to rest for a little bit after this workout.Yes, you can PUPP longer than 30 seconds. Yes, five reps with a weight you can front squat for ten is very light. And guess what? Neither will matter when you attempt to leap off the ground and front squat that last set. How about this? Try it first, then decide if you want to ask me about longer PUPPs and more weight on the bar.


I definitely thought this would be easy.  I figured maybe for someone untrained it would be hard.  I actually thought I had misread it at first and that there were supposed to be 4 sets of each.   Yeah it didn't matter.  After that last set of P.U.P.P.s I collapsed and lay face-down on the floor of the squat rack for at least two minutes.  The hardest part was actually not vomiting from the burning in my shoulders.  The front squats really put a stretch on my delts, and then the PUPPs don't let up on them either.   Overall it was a great session, and I finished with some decline situps since I haven't done any type of situp in about 3 years.  I'm still not impressed with them, and will continue doing my usual core routines

No comments:

Post a Comment