January 5, 2015

Deacon Jones Quote

Q: Do you have any regrets from your career? Is there one thing that you'd like to take a "mulligan" on and do over?

Jones: Yes. … I'd kill more quarterbacks. That's the only thing I could do differently. I couldn't be any nastier. I couldn't have any more intent. The only thing I do is "execute" better


Anytime I think that the path ahead of me is hard, whether in life, athletics, career, whatever, I bring up that quote.  That interview was for ESPN's Page2 feature, 10 Burning Questions. Here.  It's probably my favorite quote on anything, ever.  Just raw unencumbered focus on what his goal is, even at age 70 looking back at what he would've done different.   That's really what I aim to do with myself; execute execute execute, if I fuck something up, go back and do an autopsy on that mistake and make sure it doesn't happen again. Turn that weakness into a strength.  Every action / thought / moment I'm awake has a purpose and intent behind it, every thing I do is part of the plan I have for myself.  Ask yourself if you're doing the same; are you making excuses? Are you letting yourself off too easy?  Could you have driven harder towards some goal? If the answer is yes, then suck it up and apply yourself.  Get that brutal streak when it comes towards getting your goals.  It doesn't mean you have to be hurting anyone, but it does mean that if someone thinks of getting in your way, their very next thought is that you'll run their ass over and leave them for dead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment