June 25, 2013

June 19, 2013 Sprinting / Conditioning

  • 100m: 7
  • Total: 700m
  • Broad Jumps: 8'6", 8' 10" , 9'5" NEW PR!!, 9'3", 9'4", 9'4", 9'8" NEW PR!!, 9' 4.5"
I still enjoy sprinting and jumping so I figured I should give it a shot today.  Was slow on the sprints, didn't have a lot of energy, so I stopped after 7, since that last one was barely a sprint anyway.  Went over and did some broad jumps.  That went REALLY well, set a new record twice, and my 6 longest jumps ever all came here in this session.  

A few factors contribute to longer jumps at the Harvard Track. First, I'm landing in sand, and not on a hard floor like at my gym. I have to sort of relax as I get close to the ground at the gym, otherwise I'd hit it with such force I'd snap my lower legs or send my tibia rocketing off into the fitness area.  There's no such problem since I'm landing in sand at Harvard and can go as hard as I want on the landing. Secondly, the floor at my gym has this rubber padding on it, to dim the racket from dropped weights.  The surface at Harvard is basically painted pavement with the slightest of coating over it.  So what I'm pushing off of at Harvard is a lot harder, and 'pushes back' better.  Third, sprinting, while exhausting, primes your whole posterior chain and nervous system.  I would probably squat, deadlift, heck even bench press more after sprinting.  When I do broad jumps at my gym it's either the lead-off exercise, or it's after jumping rope. While jumping rope gets the blood pumping, it doesn't have the same effect on one's nervous system or musculature that sprinting does.   

Since it really is completely different conditions, I'm going to keep separate track of my jumps done at Harvard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment