June 6, 2016

May 21, 2016 Where I'm Going From Here:

So the people that have been reading this for a while know that I wanted this to be more than a repository for past workouts; I wanted to post about lifestyle type stuff, nutrition, rest, recovery, research, etc.  Then I spent the past 18 months getting an MBA, so that kind of put me in a position where I was constantly buried with work.  HOWEVER, I'm done!  I finally have time again, and will be posting a lot of research I've been reading, links to an instagram if for whatever unconscionable reason you should want to see that, and possibly starting a youtube channel for talking about topics.  

The biggest change for me personally is that after several years of talking about it, I'm going to finally switch to full-body workouts.  It's kind of intimidating after doing the split I have for the past 7+ years at this point. But it's time to change; my goal has always been to be as athletic as possible, as efficiently as possible.  My workouts have really morphed over the past year into pseudo-full-body sessions anyway....I hit the deadlift/snatch/carry/core in one session as is...all that's missing is an upper body pushing exercise, and a row/pullup variant to hit my already toasted lats from deadlifting.  

I've also noticed the past few years that as I sprint more, during the summers I wear down; by July & August my weights are going down that I can push, and my speed drops, I just tire out.  As it applies in a more useful sense for anyone reading this, I'm not entirely convinced that people can train hard more than 3 or 4 times per week.  This article came out in a rather timely fashion, and seems to back up what I'm thinking.  This would give me two extra recovery days per week, let me go real hard on the two full-body days, and go over a bit in calories.

But it's more than that as well; I've known for some time that after finishing grad school I'd be working at a job with longer hours probably. Maybe not insane, but just longer.  I'm going to have a family soonish as well.  I just don't have the same time as I did in my 20s, but I want the same results.  Plus, there are so many things to enjoy in life, the gym should make those things better, not take a huge amount of time away from them, or be the focus of life, unless competing is your job or passion.  I take about 3 minutes getting ready in the locker-room before I hit the weights, do it for 45 minutes, then shower & get dressed after which takes 10 minutes. Let's call that one hour, four times per week.  I can get it to 2 sessions per week, and if I give myself 70 minutes, and just leave after and shower at home, that's 2.5 hours. Obviously the two sprinting sessions per week stay the same, but still every week I get 90 more minutes with people I care about, or doing other things I enjoy.  Anyway, this is starting to ramble, so I'm going to wrap it up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment