September 25, 2021

September 14, 2021 Sprinting

 I turn 40 tomorrow.  I don't know if I have any sage advice.  Hard to believe that I was just shy of 17 and a half when I started working out.  22 and a half years now. I always wondered what would happen once I hit my early or mid 30s, like would life force me away from fitness? I'm happy I was able to balance life and workouts, and frankly I prefer compact high-intensity workouts to more drawn out sessions.   I don't feel (or look I suppose) 40.  My face looks somewhat younger, I assume thanks to wearing this water-based Japanese sunblock on my face for like the last 15 years.   This may sound arrogant, but I recall a story about early settlers from Europe coming over to America and seeing Native Americans that were in incredibly good shape.  The settlers were shocked that many of them were in their 50s and even late 60s.  They were able to maintain that level of health because they ate mostly plants, organ meat, and were extremely active.  I've tried to model my diet and exercise routine on that, and I think it's working, at least so far.  I don't really eat any processed food (other than yogurt & kefir, which I make myself), I don't eat meat that often, and when I do it's nutrient-dense liver.  There's a lot of olive oil and also saturated fats in there as well.  I guess we'll see how my 40s go, but I'm feeling pretty good, and hopefully this intro didn't sound too arrogant. 

The running itself went well, I don't think I'm getting faster than that this summer; the weather will be cooling soon and the winds picking up.  For the 2nd straight session I got waylaid by a strong headwind.  I'm disappointed the weather in July pushed everything back this year, usually I like to 'peak' a couple times during the summer, but only could once here.  I may go to the YMCA this winter and use their track so I stay on top of things during the colder months, as opposed to overly bundled up sort-of-sprints on a freezing track....


  • 100*1,1,12.19, 12.68

No comments:

Post a Comment