February 22, 2016

January 1, 2016 Lower Body

  • Deadlift: 405*1 435*1 455*1 475*1 495*1 505*1-ouch.

OK, so I was in a pissy mood and just felt like ripping some weight off the floor, everything was going good and I actually cracked 505 again....but I strained my back on the right side down low pretty bad.  I'm catching up on entries now, writing 6 weeks later, and it turned out to be relatively mild, but at the time I thought I ruptured a disc in my back. I couldn't even bend over to take the weight off the bar, and any time I tried to pick up anything heavier than 10 lbs., I couldn't even pick it up because I had no strength at all.  It gradually got better over the weekend, but was still fairly painful by the following Monday.  I would chalk this up as only the second moderate injury I've had in my 17 years of lifting.  The one good thing to come out of this is that it's forcing me in subsequent weeks to really focus on the form of my deadlifting and making sure my hamstrings are contributing enough to the lift; I have never really gotten to activate them enough, and ended up using my back and ass more than I should be in a deadlift.   As of late February when I'm writing this, I can tell when I use shitty form on a deadlifting rep because I get a 'ping' signal from that spot in my lower back.  It's forcing me to make sure I'm initiating the lift with my hips, as opposed to trying to lean back and pull up using too much arm and lower back.  

Overall I think I jumped in to the high rep squatting too fast earlier in the winter, I posted a few times about how tired and sore my lower back was, and this just exacerbated that

No comments:

Post a Comment